THE BAD APPLE by T.R. Burns

A.R. Book Level:  4.5
A.R. Points:  9.0
Pages:  337

The Bad Apple is the first book in the "Merits of Mischief" series by T.R. Burns.  Like Coraline, it has a twisted and creepy premise, and like The Lightning Thief, it has kids teaming up for quests and adventures in a totally off-the-wall training camp--so it should have been a home run for me as a reader.  I just didn't care for it, I guess.  I didn't like the characters, and too many of the mysteries were left unsolved for me.  However, that doesn't mean that none of my students will like it.  This book does have plenty of adventure, suspense, and really cool gadgets.  

Seamus Hinkle is a mostly good kid who does a VERY bad thing.  He finds himself in a reform school for the worst juvenile delinquents, but the academy isn't what it seems: Kilter Academy is a training school for Troublemakers where they perfect their natural-born mischief-making abilities.  For a "good" kid, Seamus is surprisingly good at being BAD.  Readers who like stories where kids go to special camps or schools (Hogwarts, anyone?) could enjoy this, just don't expect to find any characters as memorable as Percy or Harry.